1. Autodesk 3DS MAX: Formely known as 3D Studio MAX is a very powerful 3D modeling, animation, rendering, and compositing software it is from Autodesk®, and it is the most used software for creating 3d models.
2. CINEMA 4D: MAXON main product, which it's usefull for 3d animation, rendering and modeling. It can be delivered with 8 expansions/editions (Arhitecture, Advanced Rendering, BodyPaint 3D, Engineering etc.). Mainly prefered by After Effects users, because of similar panels, and by students because of it's lower price. It's a much more limited than 3D Studio MAX, because of fewer plug-ins and free 3d modeling capabilities.
3. Maya: Visual Effects Software and 3D Animation for Film, Broadcast, Game 3d models Development, Interactive free 3d models, Video. Used for free 3d meshes, 3ds graphic design, free car models and free 3d human models.
4. BodyPaint 3D: 3D Painting Software delivered sigle or a a package with Cinema 4D, both from MAXON Gmbh. BodyPaint 3D offers control over your textures with complete layers, filters and tablet support - all optimized for working in 3D. Used for texturing/coloring 3d models; mainly for human and animals 3d models where a simple texture isn't enough, but also for a 3d painted environment. BodyPaint 3D's exclusive RayBrushT technology lets you view the results of your painting realtime in a rendered image.
5. Blender: The free 3d editing software from Blender Foundation. You shouldn't be let down by the fact that it's free, Blender is one of the best 3d editing software out there. It's only obvious weakness stands in it's ability to render, it lacks a proper global illumination and ray-tracing simulator.